Sunday, March 11, 2012

Say Again?

During silent reading time, one of my students wanted to share with me some pictures in the book that he was reading. He is really into history and was reading a book about all of the dangerous events and time periods throughout history.

The first picture he showed me was of amputees from the Civil War. The next was a drawing of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Then he got to the third picture of Homo Sapiens in a cave dwelling, which is what the caption said.

When he showed me the picture he said, "And here is a picture of early gay men." Of course, I said, "That's not what Homo Sapiens means." He said, "No, these are early gay men." Trying to stay delicate with the topic and keep my professionalism in tact without opening a new can of worms, I said, "Sweetie, this means something else when referring to these ancient people." In his third and final attempt, he again said, "Ms. E, these are early CAVE men!"

Lesson to be learned?

Always listen VERY carefully to children, but make sure to teach them proper enunciation!

No comments:

Post a Comment